Sunday, September 5, 2010

What Language Does Starbucks Speak?

When anyone is writing a composition, especially if it is expected to be read by a wide variety of people, the audience should be kept in mind.  I find that a lot of articles and reviews assume a lot about the knowledge of the reader.  For example, names of certain types of coffee in Starbucks. I read an article the other day about how Starbucks has been very popular this year due to new additions and flavors in their menus (keep in mind i do not like coffee so much and so I am hesitant in buying drinks at Starbucks).  Then the author went on to rave about all of these various drinks such as "Espresso Macchiato" and "Mocha Frappuccino".  Now, if i knew what in the world a "Macchiato" was, then i might be more excited to go and buy one.  I feel like this article defeated the purpose of trying to influence new customers to try Starbucks, because the only people to understand what the author was talking about were current Starbucks enthusiasts.  Since he himself was probably an enthusiast, he didn't think to mention what these so called "amazing" drinks consisted of.  Did i not get the memo for how "Starbucks people" speak?

4 comments:

  1. Haha yeah I know what you mean, and I actually LOVE coffee! My cousin works at a different coffee shop, and apparently Starbucks' "macchiato" isn't a "real macchiato"... I have no idea. Granted, you can go to Starbucks and just ask them what everything is, but eventually it just all starts sounding the same. Here's a clip from Role Models I think you'll like:

    http://youtu.be/wic5Mf06SJ0

    I tried to embed it but it wouldn't let me... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not the only one who doesn't understand Starbucks language. An article like the one you mentioned would definitely frustrate me if it didn't give any explanation as to what the drinks were. I can only guess that the author assumed that the readers who would be the most interested in the new drinks were already loyal Starbucks customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree as well. The audience is a large part of the rhetoric situation and it often is viewed or read by many unintended people. I don't like coffee either, but I'm sure most people understand the Starbucks language because it is always crowded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy an occasional Starbucks coffee and still find it hard to give my order due to the terminologies that have to be used. I find myself frustrated at times trying to determine the difference between a "Cafe Latte" and a "Cafe Mocha" for instance. I guess if I made going to Starbucks my daily ritual there would be more understanding.

    ReplyDelete